Friday 29 August 2008

A typical day

The structure of a day is determined by the age of the children I am looking after. Babies dictate their own schedule of events, (sleeping, feeding, nappy changing, etc). I work closely with mum and dad to ensure that any routines that are already in place, remain in place.

If you have a child who needs to move on from nappies to using the 'potty' then I let you know how they have fared during the day! If I am looking after young toddlers then we do activities which
drive and stimulate their development, while at the same time having fun.

For older children we have a mix of
education and fun. This mix is driven by your individual child's need. So if you tell me they need some help with numbers then that's what we will do. If they are starting to write or tell the time, we will focus on this. And when they are older and the 'dreaded' homework starts, I will always create the right working environment for this to be completed (and help if my brain can keep up!).

We have meal-times throughout the day: breakfast from 7:30am (unless they have eaten at home already), a healthy snack at 10:30am, lunch at 12:30am and another healthy snack at 3pm. Cooked tea is at 5pm.

At some stage in the day, a quiet period is required. I am a firm believer in younger children having a sleep after lunch, but there is no pressure, and if they do not feel like sleeping, they can have a rest-time with me in the lounge area.

I provide a written summary of the day�s care for you to take home in your child's daily diary. This gives you an overview of your child's feeding, sleeping, nappy changing activities as well as their demeanour during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment