Tuesday 22 March 2005

Art in my life

- Wire flower ~ Jenniflower
Wire flower ~ Jenniflower
Ever since I was a bolshy little tomboy of a girl, I have wanted to paint. Create with my hands from my heart. I always said that when I grew up I wanted to be an art teacher or a full-time artist. I have fulfilled both those dreams, and am still dreaming...

I don't believe we are given our specific talents and desires (whether it's artistic, musical, mathematical, being a farmer or an astronaut!) for no reason. We are meant to use them productively, and if we can use them to benefit others in some way, all the better! :) I have always loved to express myself through my art and I hope to continue to do so the rest of my life.

- The African Boy ~ Jenniflower
The African Boy ~ Jenniflower

Background...

Born and bred in sunny and turbulent South Africa, I have a deep love and respect for her diverse cultures and fascinating heritage. She is a fundamental part of my life, and I try to encounter her in all her beauty, tragedy, glory and stark reality in my work, whether with a paintbrush, pliers or my bare hands.

The African Boy is an all-time favourite painting. I was a young sprite when I did it. I photographed a young boy at my mum's nursery school, and added in the sugarcane and the styalised birds etc. He speaks of pain and uncertainty, and is questioning what's going on around him. This is symbolic of what was going on in South Africa at the time (early 1990's) ~ young kids couldnt understand what was essentially an unanswerable question.

I qualified as a Graphic Designer at Wits Technikon, Johannesburg (now called the University of Johannesburg), in 1995. I studied Art History, Marketing, Illustration, Drawing, Black & White Photography, Advertising, Conceptual Studies, Technical Drawing and Printing. My art and designs are of varying styles, themes and genre.

- The Roman Man ~ Jenniflower
The Roman Man ~ Jenniflower

I thoroughly enjoy painting and drawing... most often starting off with an inspiration and not being too sure of what the finished product will look like! I like to get my hands messy and get 100% involved. ie: The phone's taken off the hook / turned OFF! lol I think all artists do! :) I have a drawing of the head of this leopard too.

- The leopard ~ Jenniflower
The leopard ~ Jenniflower

I enjoy painting layer over thick layer of oil paint, combined with found objects. One painting I did in 1997 took ONE whole year to dry... I had literally used the tube of paint as the paintbrush, and used alot of 'found' objects, things that people throw away... It was brilliant. I loved the whole process.




1 comment: